A family holiday can be just as daunting as it is exciting. With all of the things you need to remember to bring along, it’s not hard to notice that your days of spontaneity and “no packing” trips away are gone when you have a family. We’ve just come to realise this ourselves, so we’ve put together a simple checklist with a few tips along the way.
Tip: Put these items into smaller bags. One bag for shower stuff, one for baby products, one for first aid products. Then pack all of these smaller bags into one big bag so that it’s all together when you get to your destination.
- Hair products
- Face cleansers and wash
- Face cream/ moisturiser
- Soap/ shower gel
- Shampoo and conditioner (because hotels never provide enough)
- Deodorant for each member of the family
- A roll of toilet paper (always handy just in case)
- Sunburn cream/ aloe gel
- A pack of wipes (handy for quick clean-ups even if you don’t have babies)
- Baby powder for your beach bag (helps remove sand and prevent chafing)
- Medications and scripts in case you run out or lose any
- Medicare, health care and private health insurance cards
- Basic first aid kit
- Stingose (or similar brand) cream
- Children’s panadol
- Lip balm
- Mosquito repellent
- Any other first-aid things you may need (ie. ice pack etc)
Tip: All of these items should be in the car with you so that they are easy enough to get to for the trip there and trip home.
- Camera ( and batteries)
- Children’s sleep toys
- Colouring books, pencils and playing cards (for the way there and home)
- DVD’s and car DVD player (optional)
- Water bottles
- Hotel booking tickets, passports and anything you will need as soon as you arrive
Tip: Use this list for each member of the family. Pack into separate bags for each person and plan outfits before packing so that there is no risk of over packing. Tightly roll clothes because they will fit better into suitcases and bags.
We will leave a space for you to insert the number of days you will be away for. This will then match the number of items you will need. Add one extra day in for one set of spare clothes.
- 1 x outfit to travel in
- __ x Pj’s
- __ x Shirts
- __ x Shorts
- __ x Long pants
- __ x Long shirts
- __ x Jumpers (only add in 2/3)
- __ x togs/ swimmers
- __ x Socks
- __ x Underwear ( for children, double the amount of days to be prepared for accidents. Even if your child is toilet trained, being away from home is a big deal and it will help to be prepared for any situation)
- __ x Hat ( only add 1/2)
- __ x Going out outfit
- __ x Dress
- 1 x Joggers
- 1 x Sandles or thongs
- __ x Nappies
- __ x Extra outfits
- Spare dummies
- Baby products ( rash cream, baby powder, bath stuff)
- Swim nappies
- Stroller / pram / carrier
Download Our Printable Version here
Although this list is just the basic stuff, it is designed to keep your packing to a minimum so it might be missing a few items. You can just add those in where needed. Be sure to highlight items that can only be packed last minute so that you don’t forget them.
Check out some of our other blogs here!