Eating the same thing day in and day out can get repetitive and boring really quickly, especially for children. School lunches play a crucial role in nourishing and energizing our growing minds. They serve as a midday refuel, recharging students for the rest of their day’s adventures. While sandwiches have long been a staple of lunch boxes around the world, it’s time to break free from the traditional and embrace a world of flavourful alternatives.
Gone are the days of predictable ham and cheese or vegemite “sanga”. Our goal is to empower you, the lunch packer extraordinaire, with an arsenal of simple ideas that will leave your little ones eagerly opening their lunchboxes in anticipation.
Generally, a typical lunch box can be broken down into 4 main categories;
- Main- 1st break, big lunch, whatever you call it in your house, this is the category that your typical sandwich would fall into.
- 2nd Break- Little lunch, morning tea in some schools, this is the shortest break during the day.
- Healthy snack- Snack attack, brain food, fruit break etc. As kids get older, the need for an earlier brain break decreases but it’s still important to keep this category when packing lunch options.
- Extra snack- Usually this will be something small to add to big lunch and little lunch in case the day brings extra hunger.
- Sushi (homemade or bought)
- Rice paper rolls
- Mini quiches
- Savoury muffins
- Pizza scrolls (many more types as well)
- Ham and cheese pinwheels
- Mini quesadillas
- Leftovers from dinner the night before
- Leftover pastries (add last night’s mince to some puff pastry and chuck it into the air fryer or oven)
- Spring rolls
- Noodles (in a child-friendly food flask)
- Sausage roll or mini pies ( in a child-friendly food flask)
- Tuna tins with crackers and cheese
- Zucchini, ham and potato patties
There’s always a good range of alternatives around if your kids are bored with sandwiches. Some options may not be the healthiest, however, a well balanced lunch box is always the best option. If that means you need to balance the nutrition out in other areas to cater for a once-in-a-while alternative to a sandwich then so be it.
Have any more alternatives we should add to the list? Comment below!
Check out our blog for hints and tips and more articles.
Are you looking for a cleaner that you can trust to do the best job possible? Check out The Naturally Clean Co for all your cleaning needs and watch your life transform into more time for those you love most.